Saturday, July 11, 2009

This is so low of Sacha Baron Cohen on so many levels...

OK, I know sometimes comedy is equal opportunity and nobody is safe etc etc but this just hurts me to see this. It is disgraceful, and so hurtful. I have tried not to let it bother me but now the stupid film has been released and the stereotype will be even further perpetuated by this trash. I loved Borat, I laughed my ass off, really I did. Brad and I went to see it in Yakima Washington when we were there to get our FBI fingerprints for our China adoption that never came to be. We were the only ones in the theater that laughed when they said in the movie "let's go to New York where there are no Jews", I think we were the only people who caught the joke in Yakima and I think Brad was the only Jew in the theater :)   But this is too hard for me to look at.  It seems like adoption is being made a mockery of, including the adoptive parents that seemingly adopt to be "fashionable and trendy".  I can't joke about this, that boy in the picture looks like my son.



4 comments:

Orange Girl said...

I had the same reaction when I saw the preview where he picks up his newly adopted son at baggage claim, having shipped him in a cardboard box. I'm getting really tired of the adopted-black-baby-as-accessory "joke". And I wonder who really finds it funny. Certainly not me.

one happy family said...

Katie,
The media is already so anti-adoption and totally insensitive of the issues in the third world :( This just makes it worse it seems. There are STUPID people out there that need to be enlightened as to the situation in Africa, not further brainwashed with hate (IMO). I will never forget a man at the airport when I was on my way to meet Dede, he asked me if they were going to "pack her on ice for me". When I didn't laugh HE seemed offended! Anyway, I wish Madonna, Angelina and whatever stars all the happiness with their kids. I just wish people realized there are thousand upon thousands of other "normal" people who adopt also, and we would ike some respect and sensitivity as to what our children have ALREADY endured...

Vanessavh said...

Bek,
I saw this too and it made me sad/angry. I know the joke is meant to be about adoptive parents (which is hurtful enough) but seeing the baby come out of the cardboard box degraded the life of the child and was sick, not funny. :S
I remember that guy at the airport making sick jokes, thinking he was being clever. He was a weirdo.

Erin said...

I think borat was a horrible movie, and being Jewish was embarrased, and horrified by it. I think it was inexcusable and only perpetuated so many myths about us as Jews. Singing "throw the Jew down the well" and comparing us to cockroaches....just disgusting and I was totally sickened by it. Even more so because the actor himself is Jewish.
In front of us in line at the theatre (my husband and I are Orthodox Jews) were a group of white supremists. I think that spoke volumes to us......
I am also disgusted by this insensitive and horrific "so called" humour in regards to adoption.

I see them both as equally horrific. I don't understand how one is acceptable to you and one is not.
They are both degrading and devaluing human life.